Sunday, March 7, 2010

USATKDFSPACE (#21)

Original source here. Recorded October 12, 1996.

A week of diligent uploading has gotten me well ahead of the game. I'm pleased with this particular development. The breathing room enabled me to play outside in some wonderful weather this afternoon. On a clear day, you can see forever.

On a clear night, which is when we usually performed the show, the sky can open up with stars. During this show, the eyes of the performers - often focused on the tack of a needle in a record groove, the spin of a tape spool, or a cursor tracking a waveform slowly across a screen - were drawn up there into the æther in a cacophony of pop/fringe culture.

Lurching into the stars.
  1. Space is the Place
  2. Don't forget one in the Command Module
  3. 38 Year-Old Americans
  4. Now, a New World is Open
  5. Spirit in the Sky
  6. Barely Able to Penetrate
  7. Dune, Sweet
  8. Adverb, Verb Noun
  9. Apollo 13 Wars
  10. IMPORTANT TRANSMISSION
  11. John Williams? This Late in the Show?
  12. Walk Walk Walk Walk
  13. And I Love You

Added by IanF-R:
This show's flowsheet is particularly sparse, but the back has a diagram that I must have drawn but don't remember.


What I recognize and remember, content-wise:
  • many movie soundtracks
  • Sun Ra
  • Star Wars storybook record
  • Lucia Pamela
  • Juno Reactor
  • lots of Man...Or Astroman? samples
  • Dr. Fiorella Terenzi's recordings from radio telescopes
  • DJ Spooky

This show was the collaborative theme-show that really turned out well and inspired others to come. The credit and responsibility for these shows done with friends rests equally across multiple people, and I was usually not organized enough to give much instruction or guidance when themes shows were planned. Nevertheless, they were highlights of my stay at the station. I'll refrain from calling out names, but I do offer my sincere thanks to those souls who braved the studio and put up with my madness-methods for these projects.