Saturday, October 9, 2010

Back to ASCIIs (#86)

Source here. Originally recorded on December 11th, 1997.

I'm not sure why ASCII is pluralized here, but that's what was on the tape. I'm not sure what it means in this context (and I know I've said that many times before). There's nothing remotely computer related on this track, although there's a lot of interweaving vocal and speech parts. Tight loops, and crafty hooks. There's a certain constant throb to the thing that sort of oozes and jostles you all the way.

  1. Honk and Clank
  2. Churn Churn Churn Churn Churn
  3. THX
  4. Hiccup Carnival
  5. Tuvan Hiccup
  6. A moment to groove
  7. Diving mask
  8. For His Coming
  9. One Long Raspberry
  10. Sharpen
  11. The tiniest whale
  12. Bad horror and worse music
  13. Hand-cranked piano
Added by IanF-R:

Okay, I give. I thought I was being clever by making a half-pun on "Basics", as in "Back-to-Basics", "Back-to-BASIC (computer language)", etc. Obviously, it was too far-fetched to translate beyond the day I wrote it down.
But really it doesn't make sense with that explanation, either. I had an infatuation in my early computer-years (circa 1984-1987) with ASCII art like you'd find on the BBS art galleries (didn't we all), and my ignorance of the details behind ASCII/ANSI/etc led me to mythologize its importance to everyday life to some extent, that well, still lurks in my memory, I suppose, being I can talk about it today. Grr. Here's the playlist