Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feedback is the Mother of all Illegitimate Children (#25)

Source here. Originally recorded on October 26th, 1996.

Yes yes yes. This is as dense as it gets. Here, we explore feedback in all its forms; meaning, feedback with various time dependencies. It's sort of amazing that all we vary (aside from the input) is the length of time before the output gets fed back into the input: from the almost immediate squeal to a chewy club sandwich of recursive 8 second delay, sometimes more than one at once.

To say this is "thick" is to diminish it somewhat. Moments of clear sound erupt suddenly out of a wash, only to descend back into an audio morass. One of my favorite tracks here.

  1. Chipmunk Central Casting
  2. Alien Spin Cycle
  3. The roof leaks and the TV gets nothing
  4. Like if Morse Code was a free-form jazz quartet
  5. Quick post-punk interjections, as if there was any other kind
  6. In which we abuse traditional Irish music
  7. The call of the wild
  8. Steamroller of justice
  9. Legal IDs are my secret mantra
  10. LEVELS ARE PEGGED (in the background)
  11. The wolves at the door of hip-hop
  12. "Audio Collage"
  13. Lean radio station against amplifier, exeunt
Added by IanF-R:
Long one of my favorites, too. Before the three groups of tapes were reunited, I had this one in my possession, and I would play it once every few months when my better half was away; a soundtrack for my house project days.