Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Ear.

It's a new year, but during the old year, I spent a little time with the back catalog of tapes from what seems like eons ago and my trusty antique computer and made these things all computery-file-like. Ian granted me blog access to post them (they are, after all, more than partly his work), so I'll be doing that once a week for the next year (and beyond, until I run out of tapes).

Chronological order, as this prevents discussions of quality, appropriateness, or any other pigeonholing words that occlude more than reveal. I decided on AAC since it's probably a "free enough" format. Uncompressed audio is available upon request.

This tape was made on 5/31/1996, quite possibly before I even became involved. Vague, unconvincing descriptions of possible cuepoints follow.
  1. Words that are spoken
  2. 80's cop show background music
  3. More rolling clicks and non-tubular bells
  4. Russian murmuring
  5. Scottish shoegaze feedback
  6. Roughly handled babbling
  7. A strident loop
  8. Sound affect
  9. Rubber spaghetti western
  10. Typewriters and bongos
  11. Saxophone balloon art
  12. Prepared monastery
  13. Somewhat of a recap
Blog post should also be a podcast, but just in case you want something to press on, the track is also here. All tracks should be available on the Internet Archive here, if you're antsy for stuff before I post it.

Added by IanF-R:
Link to the flowsheet for this show.

Flowsheets were required by the programming department to track what songs, albums, and artists were played from the preferred playlists (weekly recommendations). But the value here may be to identify what sounds or songs were used in each show.

Some shows with stricter themes or more intense mix sessions unfortunately don't have much filled in--it was hard to keep track of what we played when we were constantly changing discs or starting and stopping things. Whereas when we took a break and played a straight musical interlude, it was easier to write that down. Nevertheless I'll add them a) when I have them and b) when they seem to me to add something to the listening experience.